Thursday, September 6, 2007

Why Should We Be Embarrassed?

I will admit that on the rare occasion I will be embarrassed about a stomach problem. Not often, but every once in a while. Here's an example: I am out with my girlfriend. We are at a bar with eight of her girl friends, and zero of my friends. They are all dancing and having a great time gyrating and groovin' to the pounding of the bass. I, on the other hand, have to drop the children off at the pool. Usually that is not a huge problem. Usually I will get up, excuse myself, head to the nearest bathroom and do the job. But, when you are at a bar, we all know how it is. You know about the smelly stalls with no door, and the floors soaked with urine. You know about the overflowing toilets and the puke-ridden seats. Worst of all (and this is what I experienced on this particular night) there were only porta-potties. What is a man to do when he is faced with a porta-potty. It is in the backyard area of the bar, it is pitch black, and you can not possibly know what is on those seats. So, what did I do? I held it. Yes, I held it and had to tell my girlfriend I was not feeling well from over-drinking.

Why do I tell you this story? I tell you because we should not be ashamed about our stomach issues. It is a human problem, not an individual problem. I am sure every one of us, including those who claim to have stomachs that can "handle anything" have been in that situation. We have all been at the bar, game, lecture or movie where we can't hold it in any longer only to realize we have to. In reality we should all scream out, "Yes, my stomach is aching, and yes, I have to use the porta-potty at the risk of becoming infecting with a rare strand of ebola, but I am a human being and I will do what I must do to survive.

No comments: